WDHCF History

A substantial bequest from the estate of the late Gordon Wyndham McKeown triggered the establishment of the Werribee District Hospital Charitable Foundation.
The McKeown family moved to Werribee in 1900 and owned a bakery and much of the land in Watton Street, Werribee.
Gordon was a musician who tutored in Germany and was the Director of the Conservatory of Music at University of Melbourne.  His bequest included a house, an art collection and shares valued at $770,000.

Prior to July 1993, the McKeown bequest was held in trust by the Werribee District Hospital. However, with the closure of the ageing Werribee District Hospital and the opening of Wyndham's new public hospital, the trust funds were entrusted in 1993 to the Werribee District Hospital Charitable Foundation.
Since that time the Foundation has astutely managed the trust funds for the betterment of public hospital services within the City of Wyndham (and its predecessor prior to local government amalgamations, the City of Werribee.)

In 2005, the Foundation received a $1 million boost from the estate of the late Vera Hanorah Davis of Watton Street, Werribee. As a member of the prominent Davis family, which was well known throughout the region as property and business owners, Vera was a popular local identity who lived and worked in Werribee all her fine 102 years.
In accordance with Miss Davis's wishes, The Herb & Emily Davis, parents of Vera, Perpetual Trust is now preserved to support public hospital services in Wyndham well into the future.